Residency Information

Am I In-District?

JJC serves more than 650,000 people in parts of Will, Grundy, Kendall, LaSalle, Kankakee, Livingston and Cook counties. At 1,442 square miles, JJC makes up Illinois Community College District 525. To see if your community is served by JJC, residents can check their property tax bill or voter's card.

Out-of-State Students or Students Who Plan to Live Out-of-State After Graduation: Want to attend JJC to earn a licensure or certification? If you live in another state, or plan to take your exam in another state after graduating from JJC, view our Professional Licensure Disclosure page.

No On-Campus Housing Available

Please note that JJC does not offer dorm rooms or on-campus housing.

Residency Requirements

  • Defining In-District Residents

    An in-district resident is someone who lives in District 525 or who plans to establish permanent residence in District 525.

    "Residence" is defined as the place where the student lives and is considered the student's permanent home. The residence must be owned or occupied for a minimum of 30 days prior to the beginning of the term.

    Requirements for Proof of Residency

    Note: Residency requirements are subject to change.

    Residency Requirements

    You are considered a JJC District 525 resident if you are one of the following:

    1. Age 18 or married, and have lived in District 525 for at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester
    2. Living with your parents or legal guardian in District 525 for at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester
    3. A minor and have resided in District 525 for at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester. You also:
      • Have not lived with your parents or guardian (except for brief holiday periods) during the past calendar year and you do not plan to do so during the next calendar year; and
      • Have not received more than the IRS Standard Deduction in financial assistance from your parents or guardian during the previous calendar year nor expect to do so during the next calendar year.

    Evidence of Residency for New Students

    Evidence of legal residency is based on two things:

    1. Ownership and/or occupancy of a home/residence in district (shown by a deed, lease, or formal rent receipt with lessor's name indicated) and
    2. At least one of the following showing the same address:
      • A current Illinois driver's license or Illinois state identification card
      • A current Illinois automobile license registration
      • A current Illinois voter's registration card
      • Employment in the state of Illinois (for out-of-state residents)
      • Payment of Illinois income taxes (for out-of-state residents)
      • A document showing the student's past or existing status as a district student (e.g. a high school transcript)
      • A utility bill in the name of the student
      • A proof of automobile insurance
      • A proof of homeowner's insurance
      • A current credit card billing statement
      • A current bank statement
      • A change of address form from the post office

    Each of these proofs must show an in-district address. A post office box number for an address will NOT prove residency.

    If you are a renter, you must submit either a rent receipt or lease signed by the owner/manager (dated at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the term). If applicable, you must complete the Residency Status Change Request Form (PDF) and submit both proofs of residency to the JJC Admissions Office (A-1020) within 10 business days of the beginning of the term.

    If you are an out-of-state applicant and you fail to submit the required proofs by the stated deadline, you will be charged out-of-state tuition. Students who demonstrate to 30-day, in-state, but not in-district residency, will be charged Illinois out-of-district tuition.

    Should you prove in-district residency and then later move from that address without providing a forwarding address to JJC, you will have your address returned to the original address from the application and in-district status will be reviewed.

    How Residency is Determined

    Your residency is determined when your JJC application is processed. It may be subject to further review and/or revision by the director of admissions, recruitment staff or other staff.

    Factors used in residency determination may include:

    • Current address
    • Length of time at that address
    • High school attended
    • Date of graduation

    You are responsible for furnishing information, evidence, or documents deemed necessary to accurately determine residency within 10 business days prior to the beginning of the term.

  • How Residency Affects Tuition

    Tuition is determined by your legal and permanent residence. If you live outside of District 525, you will pay tuition at a higher rate than an in-district student. Visit our Payment Information page to learn more.

    More Information About Tuition & Payments

  • Chargeback and Cooperative Agreements

    Are you attending JJC only because your home community college doesn't offer the program you want to study? If so, you can apply for a Chargeback or Cooperative Agreement at your local community college. This may allow you to attend JJC at an in-district tuition rate. 

    Chargeback and Cooperative Agreements

  • Do You Work in District 525?

    Persons who are not residents of District 525 but who are employed full-time (35 hours or more per week) at in district employer are eligible for in-district tuition and fees.

    To qualify, a letter must be on file in the Admission's office each semester prior to the student's registration. This letter must be written on company stationery and must be signed by either the owner/manager or the director of human resources.

More Information

  • Dishonest Submissions

    If you are dishonest about your residency status, it will be reported as a violation of the JJC Code of Conduct. Fraudulent submissions will also result in an "out-of-district" status.

  • Questions?

    If you have any questions, please contact the Admissions Office by calling (815) 280-2493. You can also email