The Student Advising Center offers academic advising support and connections to other services to help students choose and complete their academic pathway.
- Visitors must wear a face covering when entering the office and may be asked to wait in the hall due to social distancing guidelines.
- All advising appointments are virtual. Current and returning students can call (815) 280-2673 for an appointment.
- New students must completed the Admitted Student steps to access advising services.
Before Your Appointment
Please Review the FAQ Sheet for Virtual Advising.
Our highly trained professionals will assist you with academic planning, which includes:
- Orienting you to the college and helping you navigate the first semester registration process
- Academic and career coaching to help you make educational choices
- Plans that show you exactly the courses you need for your chosen academic pathway
- Assistance with preparing for transferring to another college or university
- Programs and activities to help you adjust to college and address possible barriers to your success
- A support plan and consistent outreach to help you stay on track
- Help navigating the self-service resources in MyJJC
To select classes that support your academic pathway, be sure to schedule an appointment with an advisor dedicated to your success!
Advising Support Areas
New Students | New Students with Earned Credit
The Student Advising Center provides academic advising for new students and students with college credit transferring to JJC from another college/university. Staff are also here to assist with general questions about transferring from JJC to another college/university.
To learn more about new student steps, visit the Admitted Students page.
Undecided or Exploring Students
The Career Services Center can provide support in exploring majors and career pathways. Career Pathway Coaches are available to assist in choosing an academic pathway while exploring career options.
English Language Learners, Underrepresented and Undocumented Students
First Generation or Students with a Verified Disability
The Center for Multicultural Access & Success provide academic advising. Visit their web pages to learn more about the department and the additional services they provide.
Major Specific Advising
Faculty Advisors are experts in specific career and major areas and available for most JJC programs. Before scheduling an appointment with a Faculty Advisor, students should be able to clearly answer the following questions.
Have you committed to a major of study?
Do you know which career path you are pursuing within your major of study?
Are you planning to transfer to another college or university after JJC?
What school do you plan transferring on to (if applicable)?
If students can confidently answer these questions then they are ready to transition to major specific advising. Please review the Faculty Advisors list and contact information to schedule an appointment for major specific educational planning and transfer advising. If students still need assistance answering these questions and creating a clear plan please contact the Student Advising Center for an appointment. To learn more about what type of Advisor you need to work with review our Guided Academic Pathway Advising flowchart.
The Student Advising Center assists students enrolled at other colleges or universities wanting to take classes at JJC (usually but not limited to the Summer Semester). Advisors help students identify classes that will transfer back to their primary institutions.