Cooperative/Chargeback Agreements

Approved Incoming Agreement Requests

A resident residing in another Illinois community college district that does not offer a program of study which is available at Joliet Junior College should request a Cooperative/Chargeback Agreement at his/her local community college.

The cooperative/chargeback agreement request must be submitted to your local community college according to their respective deadline date. Students may need to verify deadline dates with the specific community college. If the cooperative/chargeback agreement is approved by the home district, the student will be responsible for paying only the in-district tuition rate to attend JJC. The approved request should be mailed, faxed or submitted to the JJC Admissions Office for processing.

The in-district rate of tuition shall apply only to coursework for currently approved programs of study between cooperating colleges and those providing chargeback agreements. Students who change programs of study outside of these existing agreements will be billed at the out-of-district rate of tuition for all coursework.

For more information regarding incoming cooperative/chargeback requests and approval process, please contact your local community college. Any questions regarding the process after the approved request is submitted to JJC, please contact the Admissions office at (815) 280-2493.

Outgoing Agreement Requests

A resident of Joliet Junior College, District 525, may be eligible to attend another community college at the in-district rate of tuition for a career degree or certificate that is not available at JJC.

In order to receive approval for a cooperative/chargeback agreement, the following guidelines must be completed. Failure to comply with the guidelines will prevent you from obtaining approval.

  • Complete the Cooperative/Chargeback request by the deadline date.
  • Submit proof of residency.
  • Submit proof of acceptance into competitive admission programs.

Deadline Dates: Requests received after the deadline will be rejected.

  • Fall - July 25th
  • Spring - December 15th
  • Summer - April 20th

Distance is not considered a basis for approving Cooperative/Chargeback Agreements. If a program is offered anywhere within the cooperative network, it is judged to be available. The time of day, day of the week, the particular semester or term of offering, or the program or its component parts are not considered as factors affecting approval. Cooperative/Chargeback Agreements are not available for transfer programs.

NO outgoing Cooperative/Chargeback Agreements will be approved retroactively.For more information regarding outgoing cooperative/chargeback requests please contact the Academic Affairs office at (815) 280-2460.

Compliance Guideline

The JJC Office of Academic Affairs will audit each billing of chargeback received. Courses taken that are not part of the approved program, that are repeated, or that are dropped after the drop date will not be covered by the chargeback. That is, the entire out-of-district tuition for such courses must be borne by the student.

Cooperative/Chargeback Request Form
  • Cooperating Community Colleges

    Joliet Junior College has entered into a joint educational agreement entitled Comprehensive Agreement Regarding the Expansion of Educational Resources (C.A.R.E.E.R.). This agreement greatly expands the number of applied science degrees and/or certificate programs to residents of District 525.

    Colleges in the C.A.R.E.E.R. Agreement:

    • Black Hawk College, District 503, Moline, Illinois
    • Carl Sandburg College, District 518, Galesburg, Illinois
    • College of DuPage, District 502, Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    • College of Lake County, District 532, Grayslake, Illinois
    • Danville Area Community College, District 507, Danville, Illinois
    • Elgin Community College, District 509, Elgin, Illinois
    • Heartland Community College, District 540, Bloomington, Illinois
    • Highland Community College, District 519, Freeport, Illinois
    • Illinois Central College, District 514, East Peoria, Illinois
    • Illinois Eastern Community College, District 529, Chestnut Olney, Illinois
    • Illinois Valley Community College, District 513, Oglesby, Illinois
    • John A. Logan College, District 530, Carterville, Illinois 
    • John Wood Community College, District 539, Quincy, Illinois
    • Joliet Junior College, District 525, Joliet, Illinois
    • Kankakee Community College, District 520, Kankakee, Illinois
    • Kaskaskia College, District 501, Centralia, Illinois
    • Kishwaukee College, District 523, Malta, Illinois
    • Lake Land College, District 517, Mattoon, Illinois
    • Lewis and Clark Community College, District 536, Godfrey, Illinois
    • Lincoln Land Community College, District 526, Springfield, Illinois
    • McHenry County College, District 528, Crystal Lake, Illinois
    • Moraine Valley Community College, District 520, Palos Hills, Illinois
    • Morton College, District 527, Cicero, Illinois
    • Oakton Community College, District 535, Des Plaines, Illinois
    • Parkland College, District 505, Champaign, Illinois
    • Prairie State College, District 515, Chicago Heights, Illinois
    • Rend Lake College, District 521, Ina, Illinois
    • Richland Community College, District 537, Decatur, Illinois
    • Rock Valley College, District 511, Rockford, Illinois
    • Sauk Valley Community College, District 506, Dixon, Illinois
    • Shawnee Community College, District 531, Ullin, Illinois
    • South Suburban College, District 510, South Holland, Illinois
    • Southeastern Illinois College, District 533, Harrisburg, Illinois
    • Southwestern Illinois College, District 522, Bellville, Illinois
    • Spoon River College, District 534, Canton, Illinois
    • Triton College, District 504, River Grove, Illinois
    • Waubonsee Community College, District 516, Sugar Grove, Illinois
    • William Rainey Harper College, District 512, Palatine, Illinois

  • Cooperative/Chargeback Agreement FAQ

    What is Cooperative/Chargeback Agreement?

    The Illinois Public Community College Act of 1965 provides that if a student wishes to take a "curriculum of studies" not offered in the home community college district, but is offered in another Illinois community college district, the home community college district may pay the non-resident portion of the tuition while he/she is enrolled in such a program.

    When do I need to apply?

    You must apply with JJC prior to the following deadline dates:

    Fall - July 25th

    Spring - December 15th

    Summer - April 20th

    What is a curriculum?

    A curriculum is interpreted as an organized pattern of instruction within a discipline leading to a certificate or associate degree which is publicized in the official catalog of an Illinois public community college and approved by the Illinois Community College Board and the Illinois State Board of Education.

    Both full- and part-time attendance is allowable. Individual courses, as in adult continuing education programs, are not considered "programs" for approval purposes, nor are programs that are generally considered to be baccalaureate oriented since the majority of the courses normally taken during the first two years of such programs are readily available at Joliet Junior College.

    How do I know if the program is offered by JJC?

    An outgoing cooperative/chargeback agreement will not be authorized if the desired curriculum is offered by JJC. The determination of whether or not the desired program is offered is made by comparing the relevant JJC program with the desired curriculum and its component courses in the official catalog of the college the applicant wishes to attend. If JJC has a comparable curriculum or if JJC has a cooperative agreement with another community college that has a comparable curriculum as determined by the JJC Vice President for Academic Affairs, no chargeback will be authorized.

    What about residency?

    To qualify for a cooperative/chargeback agreement, the student must be a permanent resident of JJC District 525. The residence of unemancipated persons is that of their parents. If the applicant is of foreign citizenship, proof of permanent residence (green card or its new equivalent) is required. Residents of District 525 are eligible for a cooperative/chargeback agreement after they have resided in the district for 30 days and verify their residency with an Illinois Driver's License or state ID. A students who has a JJC cooperative/chargeback agreement but establishes permanent residence out of the district will have his/her cooperative/chargeback agreement terminated at the end of the term in which he/she moved.

    NOTE: A student working a minimum of 35 hours in the community college district in which he/she would like to attend may, at the discretion of the college, be treated as an in-district student. A letter from the employer may be required as proof of employment. As this may vary from college district to college district, the student should contact the admissions office of that college to determine eligibility.

    What about distance and inconvenience?

    Distance and inconvenience are not considered as the basis for approving a cooperative/chargeback agreement. If a program is offered anywhere within District 525, it is judged to be available. The time of day, the day of the week, or the particular semester or term of offering the program or its component parts are not considered as factors affecting approval.

    What about JJC enrollment limitations?

    The fact that a JJC program may have limited enrollment, or is temporarily closed to enrollment, or is regularly over-subscribed, is not considered as a factor affecting approval.

    What about JJC entrance requirements?

    The fact that an applicant for a cooperative/chargeback agreement was refused admission to a JJC program because of failure to meet entrance requirements is not considered grounds for authorizing the agreement for a comparable program at another institution. Nor will JJC authorize a cooperative/chargeback agreement to someone attempting to meet the entrance requirements or prerequisites for a particular program at another college.

    What about closed-enrollment programs at another college?

    If you are seeking admission to a closed admission program at another community college, a cooperative/chargeback agreement will not be approved until you present an acceptance letter which indicates that you have been admitted into that program. Your cooperative/chargeback agreement will then be authorized for the next attendance session provided you have completed the cooperative/chargeback agreement application within the deadline date.  No payments will be made for coursework taken prior to your receipt of JJC cooperative/chargeback agreement approval.

    What if JJC develops a comparable program after I have begun the program at another community college?

    If JJC authorized a cooperative/chargeback agreement, and subsequently develops a comparable program, the student is not required to transfer back to JJC for the balance of the program.

    How many Cooperative/Chargeback Agreements can a student have at the same time?

    A student may not have more than one cooperative/chargeback agreement at the same time.

    What about courses I repeat?

    Repeated courses or courses dropped after the drop date are not covered by the cooperative/chargeback agreement.

    What is the length of time covered by my Cooperative/Chargeback Agreement?

    All cooperative/chargeback agreements expire with the end of the summer semester/quarter. The approval is valid only for the time period which is indicated on the approved agreement. Another form must be filed for coursework which is to be taken after the time period approved with the initial or earlier application. Also, a new form will have to be submitted in the event you plan to pursue another program or attend another community college.

    What is the difference between a Cooperative and a Chargeback Agreement?

    A cooperative agreement makes it possible for residents of District 525 to enroll in programs at a neighboring community college without the district having to pay for the outstanding out-of-district tuition charge.

    A chargeback request may be denied if JJC has a cooperative educational agreement with another community college offering the program you desire.

    When and how does JJC make final payment to the attending college?

    Payment will be made for chargeback agreements to the receiving college for only those courses which are required in the degree or certificate program approved, for courses which are within the total credit hour limit of the program approved, for courses which have not been repeated or dropped, and for courses which earn college credit and are I00 level or higher.

    Compliance guideline

    The JJC Office of Academic Affairs will audit each billing of chargeback agreements received, and courses taken which are not part of the approved program, courses that are repeated, or courses dropped after the drop date will not be honored for chargeback. That is, the entire out-of-district tuition for such courses must be paid for by the student.