Dual Credit Questions

What is Dual Credit? 

Dual credit is a way for high school students to get high school AND college credit for courses they take at their own school. It's a great way to get a jump start on taking college-level courses. 

How do I contact the Office of Dual Credit if I need assistance?

We are here to help you. Contact us at (815) 280-6927 or OfficeOfDualCredit@jjc.edu.

How do I look up my JJC ID number, username, or password?

See the ID/Username/Password help page or watch this tutorial video.

How do I register for placement exams?

Complete a Test Request Form and check your JJC email for test confirmation. For any testing related questions, contact Testing Services directly at TestingServices@jjc.edu.

How do I know what placement scores I need?

Visit the Testing Services webpage for more details.

How do I prepare for placement exams?

If you'd like to study ahead of time to get the best possible placement scores, check out the Prepare for Progress program offered through the Tutoring and Learning Center.

How do I get my JJC ID Card?

Photo ID Services is located at Main Campus in room A-1105. You will need to bring a photo ID, a copy of your current semester schedule, and your JJC ID number.

How do I get a copy of my course syllabus?

You need to ask for a course syllabus from your high school teacher. It is always a good idea to keep a copy of your course syllabi in your own files.  Sometimes, the college or university you are transferring to may require a copy of a course syllabus before giving you credit for that class.  

Do I have access to the JJC Library as a Dual Credit student?

With your student ID, you can check out materials from the JJC Library—including books, audio books, LCD projectors, laptops, MP3 players, and DVDs.  Dual Credit students also have access to the library databases, which can be accessed off-campus using your JJC login credentials. The library is located at JJC Main Campus, in A-2000.

How can I view my grades?

  1. Login to eResources
  2. Select 'My Grades'

Where can I get help with my courses?

As a dual credit student, you have access to the Tutoring and Learning Center located at Main Campus in room C-2010.  Call them at 815-280-2823 to schedule an appointment.  

You also have access to free online tutoring with Smarthinking, which is available in Canvas.  Available subjects include business, computer and technology, mathematics and statistics, reading and writing. For questions about Smarthinking, call 815-280-6613.

How do I drop a class?

Please ask your teacher to submit an instructor-initiated withdraw form to be removed from the course. You'll also need to ask them about "withdraw" deadlines.

No matter what, be sure you don't withdraw AFTER the "last day to drop" deadline! You might get a failing grade for the dual credit course, which would be shown on your JJC transcript. 

What is a transcript?

An academic transcript is an official record of the study you have completed.  All JJC dual credit students will receive a JJC transcript.  

Dual credit courses appear on an official JJC transcript and are not labeled differently. Therefore, recipients of the transcript such as the college or university you are transferring to, only see the college work.

How do I obtain an official copy of my transcripts?

Go to the Registrar's webpage and expand the 'JJC Transcripts' section.

Do I have to take placement exams?

The JJC course you want might have a prerequisite. If that's the case, you may have to take the Accuplacer and/or ALEKS placement tests if you don't have a qualifying ACT or SAT score. The exams are offered at Main, City Center, and Romeoville campuses.  Testing hours vary by location. Please call Testing Services at (815) 280-2261 or (815) 280-2284 to verify testing hours at your preferred testing site.

How do I register for a Dual Credit course?

Your high school teacher can help you register for your dual credit course during the first week of the semester.  You will need your JJC ID number to complete the registration form. Your teacher will submit registration forms to the Office of Dual Credit.

How do I pay my Dual Credit Enrollment fee?

You can pay for your dual credit classes on the JJC dual credit homepage.  Click on the Dual Credit Enrollment Fees form in the purple box on the right side.  After completing your demographic information, select your high school and then the course number and section. If you miss the window to make payment through our website, you will need to contact the Student Accounts and Payments Office at (815) 280-6688.

If you qualify for the free or reduced lunch program, this fee has been waived for you. You will not need to make any payment.

Unfortunately, any fee waivers earned through taking dual credit courses or any COVID waivers cannot be used to pay the enrollment fee.

My high school does not offer many Dual Credit courses.  Are there other ways to earn college credit before I graduate high school?

Great news: the answer is "Yes!" You can enroll as an Early Entry student and take college courses online or on campus while still enrolled in high school.  Early Entry students are responsible for tuition and fees for these courses.  For more information about the Early Entry Program, please contact the Admissions Office at (815) 280-2493.