Reverse Transfer

Reverse transfer is a process where academic credits for course work completed at a four-year institution are transferred back to the previously attended community college to satisfy associate degree requirements. This way, students who have earned credits at a two-year institution and transferred to another institution can send their credits back to the two-year institution and receive a degree. 

Effective December 2019, the joint rules of the Board of Higher Education and Illinois Community College Board: rules on the reverse transfer of credits establishes these types of agreements with all community colleges in the state of Illinois. This process will be in compliance with (110 ILCS 150/1) Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act. 

  • Why an Associate's Degree?

    An associate's degree is an important milestone in your education as well as a valuable credential to have on your resume. Employers value the associate's degree as evidence of your commitment to expanding your knowledge and achieving your educational goals. The associate degree can make a difference in your long-term success in several ways. 

    • It can open the door to better job opportunities, even while you're still working on your bachelor's degree. 

    • It is the nation's fastest growing academic credential and employers recognize its value when recruiting and hiring. 

    If you transferred out of Joliet Junior College without completing all of the requirements for your associate's degree, it may be possible to complete the credits you need using courses from another institution by reverse transferring your credits back to JJC. 

  • Who is Eligible for Reverse Transfer?

    The reverse transfer of credit option is available to any student who meets the following criteria: 

    • At least 15 hours of transferrable coursework at JJC; and

    • A cumulative total of at least 60 credit hours of transferable coursework successfully completed at another regionally accredited postsecondary institution. The 60 hours could include credit from one or more schools, both in-state and out-of-state, and/or from AP, CLEP, IB, or the Seal of Biliteracy. 

  • How Do Individuals Participate in Reverse Transfer?

    All individuals wishing to participate in reverse transfer should contact the postsecondary institution where they earned/are earning their additional credits. Many institutions will already have a process in place that may include a request form. This request form will allow the institution to send your transcripts back to JJC for an evaluation for reverse transfer. If your institution does not have a process in place or a formal request form, please contact JJC:

    Any transcript received by JJC without a reverse transfer request form or prior contact to University Partnerships will not be marked for a reverse transfer evaluation. 

  • Reverse Transfer Evaluation Process

    Once official transcripts and a reverse transfer transcript evaluation form are received by JJC, your evaluation will begin. Our academic credentials specialist will evaluate additional courses completed from your institution in combination with your previously completed JJC courses to determine if you meet the requirements for the selected associate's degree. You will be notified of the results of the evaluation via email provided on the request form. If you do meet the requirements for reverse transfer, an official JJC transcript with your degree posted will be sent to your current institution when available. Official transcripts are typically sent after the conclusion of the semester. 

    Please note that many institutions have processes to send transcripts at the end of the semester only. 

  • Contact Information

    University Partnerships and Degree Acceleration