Counseling FAQ

  • What is the difference between a counselor and an advisor?

    Joliet Junior College advisors are faculty members who assist students that have selected a specific program of study.

    Joliet Junior College counselors welcome new students and assist current students with academic, transfer, and career planning. Students may also discuss personal concerns and receive appropriate referrals/resources.

  • What steps should I take to attend Joliet Junior College?

    First, complete a JJC application for admission. Second, complete a placement test. Full-time or part-time students who plan to register for English, foreign language and/or math courses need to take placement testing. Students who are transferring credits from another institution in English and/or math may not need to complete placement testing. Students who transfer to JJC should bring a copy of their records to verify successful completion of English and/or math. The final step is registration.

  • What is the difference between full- and part-time student status?

    A student is classified as full time when enrolled in 12 or more credit hours. Students who attend part time are enrolled in less than 12 credit hours.

  • What is Placement testing?

    Students planning to enroll in English, foreign language, and math courses must first complete placement tests in reading, writing and math. The Placement test is a computer-based program offered on the JJC Main Campus, North Campus and at selected off-site locations. Students taking it receive immediate information on appropriate course placement and may then register for courses. Specific information regarding testing is available through the Academic Skills Center website.

  • How can I prepare for the Placement test?

    The Academic Skills Center website provides many resources including a link to sample questions.

  • How much time will I need preparing for my classes?

    At least two hours of preparation time for each hour you spend in class. If you enroll in 12 credit hours of course work, a minimum of 24 hours per week should be budgeted for class preparation.

  • How do I find out what courses are required for my major?

    The college catalog includes requirements for all degrees and specific programs of the career division. Those planning to earn an associate in arts (A.A.) or associate in science (A.S.) degree take courses which are IAI approved and required by their chosen transfer college. Check with an advisor or counselor for assistance in choosing the correct courses for your selected degree.

  • Where can I find out about academic policies, such as repeating a course, the last day to drop a course, etc.?

    College policies and procedures are explained in the college catalog and in the student handbook. You are responsible for becoming familiar with the college's policies and procedures. Your student schedule provides information about refund deadlines and the last day to withdraw from a course.

  • What are student kiosk terminals? Where are they located? What reports/services can I access off the student kiosk terminals?

    Student kiosk terminals are computer terminals which can be used to access your personal information. Kiosks are located on Main, North, and City Center Campuses. You may access the following information from the kiosk terminals: course schedule, bookstore loan contract, deferred payment contract, graduation application, final grades, academic summary, good driver discount report, enrollment verification report, e-mail account information/passwords, and other information.

  • Do I have to take the English and/or mathematics developmental courses (0-level) indicated by my placement test scores?

    Yes, these courses are designed to bring your English and mathematics skills to the level needed to be successful in the required English and math courses.

  • Do developmental courses (0-level) count towards graduation?

    No, except that some of the A.A.S. degree programs do allow Math 098 to satisfy a general education math/science course. Zero-level courses are calculated in the student's GPA.

  • Do developmental courses transfer?


  • What courses require a grade of "C" or better to continue in the sequence of courses?

    English, mathematics, and some science courses.

  • Do courses I took a long time ago still count?

    In many cases, coursework will be accepted from many years ago, especially general education credits. Some occupational programs may not accept outdated courses, such as computer applications. Another example: nursing will not generally accept selected required science courses that are older than five years.

  • Does JJC provide assistance to students with disabilities or health concerns?

    Students with documented disabilities may contact the Disability Services to arrange appropriate academic accommodations. The services are designed to make educational opportunities at JJC equally accessible to all students enrolled in college credit classes. There are no special classes for students with learning disabilities or learning difficulties.

  • Does JJC have childcare?

    The Early Childhood Center is available Monday through Friday, 7:30am - 5:00pm during the fall and spring semesters only. ECC serves children ages 3 to 5. Full enrollment is required. No temporary care is available. See the Early Childhood Center page for more information.

  • How do I obtain a copy of my JJC transcript?

    Unofficial copy: You may run an unofficial copy of your transcript off one of the student kiosk terminals, provided that you have the proper pin codes. An unofficial transcript is used for personal planning and advising. Additionally, an unofficial copy of your transcript is available through eResources.

    Official copy: Official transcripts may be ordered via Internet, telephone, mail, or in person. Regular, priority, or express service is available. Costs vary depending upon the service requested.

  • How do I have my transcripts from other colleges evaluated?

    Contact your former college or university and request that an official transcript be sent to the Joliet Junior College Records/Graduation Office. You must also complete a JJC "Request for Evaluation" form.

  • Will "D" grades transfer?

    Every college has its own policy. Refer to the college catalog. The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) requires that ENG 101 and 102 be completed with a grade "C" or better.

  • Can I earn proficiency credit for a class?

    Proficiency examinations are offered in some course areas. They may be taken only by students currently enrolled at Joliet Junior College. Application for proficiency examinations may be obtained from the appropriate department chairperson.

  • What are the advantages of earning an A.A. or A.S. degree?

    The advantages include a significant cost savings by attending Joliet Junior College and guarantees completion of the IAI general education core curriculum, which satisfies your minimum general education requirements at IAI participating schools.

  • What is the CLEP examination? Where can I take this test?

    CLEP is the College Level Examination Program and is computer-based testing. It can be used by students to earn credit by examination towards general education at Joliet Junior College. This test can be taken in the Academic Skills Center.