We Can Help
Statistics report that the number one reason why businesses fail is lack of experience. Let the Illinois Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at JJC help you strengthen your chances at becoming a success.
Check out these quick tips:
- Tip 1: Launch a business in an area where you have passion, expertise and experience
- Tip 2: Always start with a business plan
- Tip 3: Use all services available to you at the Illinois SBDC
Take advantage of our no-cost services! Before you get started, you must register to become a client. Please select "New Client Signup" and choose "Joliet Junior College" as your location when registering.
Services We Offer
The Illinois SBDC can provide consulting, training and more to help with your business. Services are available for those just starting out or those who already have an established business. Get started today!
One-on-One Business Advising
We'd love to learn more about your business and help you achieve your goals. Become a client to make an appointment with an Illinois SBDC advisor at no cost. All appointments are confidential.
For New Businesses
During your advising session, new businesses can expert assistance with the following:
- Business plan development
- Determining forms of organization (i.e. LLC, Sole Proprietor, Corporation)
- Cash flow analysis
- Marketing plan development
- Financial analysis and planning
- Management assistance
- Sales strategy
For Established Businesses
The Illinois SBDC at JJC can also help established businesses grow. We'll sit down with you to see where your opportunities for growth may be. This could include:
- Your people. Could training help you or your staff? What about better hiring practices?
- Your product. How is the customer service experience? What about your price? How is your value proposition compared to competitors?
- Marketing. Can every employee deliver your elevator pitch to their circle of influence? Is your website and social media bringing you more customers? Is your advertising reaching the right people?
- Sales. Which part of the sales process coul be improved to bring and retain more customers?
Classes, Workshops, Seminars and More
The Illinois SBDC at JJC offers a variety of seminars throughout the year to address topics that are important to small business owners. Topics range from "Starting Your Business in Illinois" to specific seminars about marketing, financing, social media, accounting, insurance and much more. We also offer networking events that provide opportunities to meet with other entrepreneurs and share business ideas.
Does your business need specialized attention? The Illinois SBDC can refer you to a variety of professionals, services and consultants in the area. Many provide no cost or low-cost initial consultation meetings.
Referral services include:
- Human resources
- Website design/social media
- Other areas of specialized consulting
BizMiner is an online service that includes financial and market analysis for more than 9,000 industries. Through their six product lines, BizMiner provides the most accurate, up-to-date and detailed small business content on the web.
Small business content includes:
- Industry market trends for local areas (as small as a zip code)
- Complete U.S. and local small business financial statements for more than 5,000 industries and sole proprietors
- Startup profit and loss statements for more than 4,000 lines of business
Client reports are customizable and include benchmark inputs.
GrowthWheel is a visual toolbox for decision-making and action planning for start-up and growth companies. This resource helps entrepreneurs build their businesses through a simple action-oriented process that provides a 360-degree view of the business and stays true to the way entrepreneurs think and work. The Illinois SBDC Network has more than 70 business advisors and center directors trained and certified in the use of the GrowthWheel tool.
IBISWorld Industry Research
As the world's largest independent publisher of U.S. industry research reports, IBISWorld's team of expert analysts covers 700 different market segments. Each report is presented in an objective, easy-to-understand format, providing hard-to-find answers to top market research questions. Each market report is available online.
Industry reports can be used to help understand:
- Market size
- Drafting business plans
- Pitch books
- Business valuations
- Litigation support
- Due diligence
- And more!
These reports are also ideal for finance professionals, management consultants, business brokers, entrepreneurs, libraries or anyone in need of industry research.
ReferenceUSA - OneSource
ReferenceUSA, a service of Infogroup, is an internet-based reference service founded in 1992. The site was designed for use as a reference and research tool. ReferenceUSA offers a wide range of database products, available in print, CD or online.
These products include:
- State business-to-business marketing directories
- The American big businesses directory and CD
- The American manufacturers directory and CD
- The American business disc
SBDCNet provides small business research services to the entire 1,100+ member SBDC Network of SBDCs located in all 50 states, Guam and Puerto Rico. This resource provides a broad range of financial, market and demographic research reports customized to your industry and geographic location. In addition to supporting small business entrepreneurs, SBDCNet now offers an array of products and services to support small to mid-size community development.
The articles and newsletter below are great resources for small businesses.
- Illinois Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) - Begin Here
- Small Business Reopening Guide / Small Business Help Topics / SBDCNet
- What is GrowthWheel?
- The Small Business Guide to Thriving in a Pandemic
- Check out our monthly newsletter.