High School Equivalency/HSE and Basic Skill Preparation

The High School Equivalency (HSE) program provides classes that will prepare students to take their High School Equivalency test (GED, HiSET or TASC). We help transition English as a Second Language (ESL) students into High School Equivalency test preparation classes. Students with high school diplomas or High School Equivalency diplomas may take our classes to prepare for college-level class enrollment. We individualize instruction based on the unique needs of each student.

Classes range from basic skill development to secondary courses and are formatted to meet the unique needs of each student. Course subjects include English (Reading & Writing), Math, Science, and Social Studies. Classes include college and career preparation, time management, study, and organizational skills. Morning and evening classes are available at all JJC campuses and various sites throughout the JJC community.  Courses help students review skills in preparation for job qualification, testing, and college level placement. Transition assistance is provided for students preparing for college classes, certifications, academic bridges and job training.  Free tutors are provided to students.

Who can attend

Any adult, ages 16 and older, who is not enrolled in or attending high school may enroll in our Basic Skills or High School Equivalency (HSE)/GED/TASC/HiSET program. There is no cost to attend this program.

How to participate

All students must complete an Orientation and Placement Session (approx. 3.5 hours). This session includes placement testing, goal setting, and registration. Afterwards, you will be able to select a class time and location that meets your schedule.

Register for an Orientation and Placement Session Online or contact the Department of Adult Education and Literacy office at (815) 280-1334 or (815) 280-1325. Students may also stop by our offices at 235 N. Chicago Street, Joliet, Suite 3019, to schedule an orientation session date and time.


I-Pathways is an internet-based instructional program that may be combined with traditional classroom instruction or used as a stand-alone option to help prepare students for any of the high school equivalency tests (GED, HiSET, or TASC). Enrollment into I-Pathways is done through the classroom teacher. The I-Pathways program can be accessed via any device connected to the internet, and is an excellent option for students who want additional options for out-of-classroom studies or do not have easy access to the classroom. The benefits of I-Pathways are best reached when used as an augmentation to classroom instruction.

How do I take the test?

To earn the High School Equivalency, a student must take a series of tests from one of the accredited testing companies; GED, HiSET, or TASC. All three companies provide the same HSE diploma and are equally recognized by employers and higher education institutions. Students need to research all three companies and decide which one will better meet his/her needs.