Orthotics and Prosthetics are the rapidly changing fields involving orthopedic braces and artificial limbs. The profession provides a vital service to the rehabilitation medicine community and to individuals with disabilities.
What Will I Learn?
Through general education, core curriculum and specific O&P courses students will gain verbal and graphical communication skills, a working knowledge of measurements and mathematics, basic human anatomy, medical terminology and specific technical and clinical skills required to perform the work of an O&P technician
Please note: The OPT Program is a limited enrollment program. In order to apply for the program, students must contact Mike Brncick, Director of OPT, to set up an interview at email@example.com.
What is Unique About Our Orthotics and Prosthetics Technology Program?
JJC's Orthotics and Prosthetics Program is proud to be one of only seven at a community college across the nation.
What Degree / Certificate Will I Receive?
- Orthotics and Prosthetics Technology, AAS
- Orthotics Technology, CAC | Gainful Employment
- Prosthetics Technology, CAC | Gainful Employment
- Orthotics Technology, CCO | Gainful Employment
- Prosthetics Technology, CCO | Gainful Employment
- Lower Extremity Orthotics Technology, CCO | Gainful Employment
- Spinal and Upper Extremity Orthotics, CCO
- Transfemoral Prosthetics Technology, CCO
- Transtibial Prosthetics Technology, CCO
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Orthotics and Prosthetics professionals have many career possibilities within the field available such as a practitioner, assistant, fitter or technician. They work in a variety of settings such as private practice, hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, specialty clinics and home health settings. Some may choose to focus on pediatrics, sports or other specialty areas.
All areas require some degree of advanced education combined with hands on clinical training and experience.
Program Accreditation and Outcomes
- 90.9% of registered OPT students complete the program
- 80% of students are employed in the field or a related field
- 100% pass rate of students who elect to take the Technician Certification Exam
JJC's Orthotic and Prosthetic Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon recommendation of the National Commission on Prosthetic Orthotic Education (www.ncope.org)
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 N, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education
330 John Carlyle St., Ste. 200
Alexandria, VA 22314
Orthotics & Prosthetics Technology, A.A.S
In order to apply for the OPT program you must contact Mike Brncick, Director of OPT to set up an interview at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The OPT Program is a limited enrollment program. OPT 100 is the prerequisite course for the OPT curriculum.
Additional prerequisites include:
- Interview with the Director of OPT
- Visit to O&P facility
- High School Diploma or GED
- English 101
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or Higher
- Completed or tested above TMath 107
Listed below is the recommended two-year course sequence guide for the student.
First year - Fall
Course Credit Hours OPT 106 4 OPT 107 3 OPT 101 4 BIO 100 3 Total: 14 Credits
First year - Summer
Course Credit Hours OPT 195 4 Total: 4 Credits
First year - Spring
Course Credit Hours OPT 102 4 OPT 103 4 OPT 200 4 OPT 108 2 Total: 14 Credits
Second year - Fall
Course Credit Hours OPT 203 3 OPT 104 4 OPT 201 4 OPT 105 3 Total: 14 Credits
Second year - Spring
Course Credit Hours BIO 125 4 OPT 202 4 OPT 295 4 Total: 12 Credits
Orthotic and Prosthetic National Organizations
- American Academy of Orthotists & Prosthetists
The American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists is dedicated to promoting professionalism and advancing the standards of patient care through education, literature, research, advocacy and collaboration.
- AOPA: American Orthotic & Prosthetic Association
The American Orthotic & Prosthetic Association (AOPA) is a national trade association committed to providing high quality, unprecedented business services and products to O&P professionals.
Orthotic and Prosthetic Credentialing and Testing Organizations
- ABC - American Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics
ABC Technician Registration (PDF)
The National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education (NCOPE)
The Global Resource for Orthotic and Prosthetic Information
A Web site for O&P technicians, with an active discussion forum and many other features
- NCOPE List of Schools
O & P Schools (International)
- University of Salford
- The National Centre for Prosthetics and Orthotics, La Trobe University, Melbourne
The following are orthotic and prosthetic pertinent and contemporary articles about education and innovations in O & P.
- American Academy of Orthotists & Prosthetists